This map was published in 1910, but must have been surveyed a few years
earlier. There are a few houses around, including the ones in the
background of the view.
By the 1930s most of the lane was lined with houses, most of them
individually designed. The orange spot on the map marks 271 and 273.
Handley Road (named after Diana Handley, who
married William Davenport of Bramall Hall) is in process of
development. By 1939 the name 'Bramhall Lane South' had come into use.
By 1963 the present layout along Bramhall Lane South was complete, and
the estate in
the North Park Road area was under construction, seen in the top left
corner of the extract. A curiosity is that a short street called
Humphrey Road existed at that time, north-east of Handley Road. Was it
named after Salusbury Pryce Humphreys,
the father of William Davenport? It has since disappeared
from the scene.
In 2005 a Conservation Area was designated by Stockport council,
including these houses and most of Bramhall Lane South. In the words of
a Council document:
the turn of the twentieth century the road was bounded on both sides by
agricultural land and it provided access to a series of farms along its
route. The road is now continuously lined with housing (with the
notable exception of Bramhall Green) and the survival of mature trees,
hedges and some natural green spaces along its length provide important
reminders of its original rural character.'
The area remains highly desirable as a place to live, even though the
houses are not far from the busy road. No. 273 changed hands in 2010
for almost £400,000.
Special thanks to the
current owners of No. 271 for their interest and contribution.
Contributions are very welcome at at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Postcard from Davenport, No. 3: Over the Border
This card, originally posted in 1913, had us baffled until we took a
Bramhall Lane, and kept walking towards Bramhall over the railway
bridge to the
junction of Handley Road. The view looks back from there towards
Stockport. The pair of semi-detached houses in the centre with the
white gables in the centre are now 271 and 273 Bramhall Lane South.
the houses in this scene were quite new at the time of the picture; it
appears that the area between the railway bridge and Bramhall Park Road
was considered part of Davenport at that time (possibly still is by
some), and this section of road was called simply 'Bramhall Lane'
rather than 'Bramhall lane South'
as at present.
The view is hard to replicate exactly today, except perhaps in winter,
due to the growth of trees
and the danger of standing in the middle of the road; this is the best
we could do. The gables of 271 and 273 locate the scene, which apart
from the trees has changed very little apart from the road surface and
The view from the air in 2011(from Bing
maps). Note that the garden of 271 still runs all the way back to
Abingdon Road, although most others have had houses built there.
This area, south of the Midland
Railway bridge, was part of Hazel Grove
and Bramhall Urban District at the time the houses were built, and
remained so until 1974. When house numbers were allocated, on is now
known as Bramhall Lane South they started from Bramhall village
and numbered towards Stockport, with odd numbers on the left,
north-west, side. The
Stockport section numbers start from 1 at the junction with the
Buxton road, and number towards Bramhall, with the odd numbers on the
left, i.e. south-east. The two numbering
systems run to over 300, causing a confusing situation either
side of the railway bridge, although since there are signs on the
bridge parapet giving the change of road name they can easily be missed.
We had hoped to identify the original owners of these houses, but this
is proving difficult because house numbers were not in general use at
that time, all the houses having names, most of which are no longer
shown on the houses themselves. The 1911 census lists the
following along "Bramhall Lane Davenport" between Bramhall Park
Road and Grange Farm (which stood near the junction with the present
Midland Road), and we have tried to correlate this with a 1910
directory of Cheshire to give full names of the owners where possible:
"Winslade" Frederick Joseph Thomas Taylor
"Oak Cliffe" John Evans
"Plas Coed" Henry Haworth
"Heathcote" Albert Hemmings
"Edlington" Thomas Ernest Lingard
"Broad Oak" Mr Arnfield or Charles Ashworth
-- one house being built--
"Harwood" Herbert Blakey
"Woollahra" Mrs Jepson
-- one house unoccupied --
"Audley" Albert G Lewis
"Statham" Mr Wood
Story of a house
Checking all these in the Land Registry would be expensive, so we will
take No. 271, in the centre of the picture, as an example. Land
Registry records indicate that the plot
on which the semi-detached houses 271 and 273 stand was sold by the
Freeholders Company (which had purchased the Bramhall Hall estates) in
February 1910 to Martha Emily Hazeldine. She was the wife of Samuel
Hazeldine, a 'joiner and builder' of 67 Station Road, Cheadle Hulme,
who then built the pair of houses; perhaps 271 was initially
rented by Mrs Jepson.
There is reference to a 'Conveyance dated 15 September 1913 made
between (1) Martha Emily Hazeldine and (2) Mary Frances Gertrude
Jepson' from which we can deduce that No. 271 was in fact "Woollahra" -
named for a town in New South Wales, Australia. The 1911 census tells
us that Mrs Mary Jepson, born about 1870 in Australia, was a
widow by the time she moved to No. 271, a five-bedroom house, where she
was living in 1911
with her sons Sidney (21), Stanley (18), Harold (15), Bernard (13) and
Gordon (11), all born in Stockport, and her daughter Mabel, aged 8.
Mary's mother, Ann Brooks, was born in Stockport around 1830, and lived
in Australia for some years, before returning with six children, all
born in Australia, to Stockport shortly after Mary, the youngest,
Mary's husband Thomas Pearson Jepson (born c. 1863) had worked for
Stockport Corporation as a clerk. When first married in 1889 they lived
her mother at 15 Dale Street, Edgeley, and by 1901 they had their own
was 44 Sutton Road, Heaton Norris, but apparently they moved to
the Saltash area of Cornwall shortly after that, as their daughter
Mabel was born there, and
Thomas died there in 1910 aged only 47.
Mrs Jepson clearly decided to return to the Stockport area, and moved
the family into a new modern house which she named after the town of
her birth in Australia, even though she had left there as a baby.
At least two of her sons Sidney and Stanley enlisted in the Army during
World War I and were officers in the North Staffordshire Regiment;
died in Lille, France in 1919, a victim of the great Influenza
epidemic. He is chronicled on the Stockport
website. Harold and Bernard are also believed to have
served in the War.
The house remained with the Jepson family for many years, retaining all
its original features: Mary in died in 1962, aged 95, and the house
passed to her un-married daughter Mabel who lived there until she sold
it in 1986 to a family who were still there when this item was written in 2011. A
remarkable continuity of ownership, although perhaps quite typical of
Page created by
Charlie Hulme, May 2011 Updated April 2023